Scary Old Cortina
Andy (Scary Old Cortina) is providing the much need mechanical expertise and engineering wizadry to turn my road -going Capri into a Capri Rally Car. It is almost impossible to imagine the sheer scope and scale of this work unless you have ever tried to build a rally car from a basic road car. What is really amazing is he is doing this work for the team and for the Charity Rally in his spare time from running his car repair/build/recovery/salvage business! The man is an absolute legendary car builder with published builds in various magazines including Retro Cars. I am honoured he is working on my car - but it's not me but the Charity Rally he has committed his efforts too (maybe a bit because it is a Capri and we all love Capri's ).
The work he is doing is too long to list here but let me give you a flavour:
- Engine strip & rebuild to a rally specification
- Suspension overhaul and upgrade to rally specification
- Bodywork strengthening with fabrication and welding of additional plates and gussets on all stress points - to rally specification!
- Total fluid & lubricant replacement to rally specification
- Complete strip, overhaul and rebuild of all mechanical systems including brakes, drive train and cooling to rally specification
- Complete electrical rewire and adaptation to rally specification
- Fitting of manual gearbox and clutch to replace existing auto box and all associated work to rally specification
- Fabrication and fitting of all underbody protection including steering, sump, diff and tank guard - you guessed it - to rally specification
- Scratch building of a trailer to carry all the gear ... also to rally specification .....
If I tried to quantify all this work in monetary terms it would be thousands ..... Scary is doing it to ensure this Capri will go to Mongolia and back, and in doing so, raise as much money as possible for Save the Children and Make A Wish Foundation UK!
If you are a rallier or a supporter, somewhere near (or far) to County Durham and you want some work done on your road car or rally car - don't take it to your nearest garage - please take it to Andy - his rates are very reasonable and you won't find better - he deserves all of our support in his day to day business for his commitment to Go Help and The Official Mongolia Charity Rally - why pay 'the man' when you can support a Legend!!! ??? It's a no brainer if you ask me...